Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
3) The recent storm related to demand for more transparency by means of electoral bonds mechanisms holds widespread importance but it may also lead to overlap priorities comment? Critically analyse.(250 words)
why this question:
The Election Commission of India (ECI) has recently told the Supreme Court that electoral bonds, contrary to government claims, wreck transparency in political funding. The question is thus to examine the significance and issues involved in this context.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the Electoral Bonds – Significance and Issues involved especially with respect to transparency in political funding.
Critically Analyse – When asked to ‘analyse’, we have to look into the topic (content words) in detail, inspect it, investigate it and establish the key facts and issues related to the topic in question. While doing so we should explain why these facts and issues are important and their implications. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
write a few introductory lines about the Electoral Bond, their origin and utility.
Answers must discuss the following aspects :
- Discuss the key features of the electoral bonds.
- Pros and cons
- How Electoral bond leads to corruption and hinders the capacity of the citizens to meaningfully participate in political and public life.
- Take cues from article – discuss foreign funding and role of electoral bonds.
- How the power of vote is diluted through opacity in political funding, and thus democracy as a whole loses its intrinsic value.
Conclude by suggesting a way forward, how can the government overcome the challenges and focus on its priorities.