Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
1) What do you understand by regionalism? Does regionalism support India’s federal character? Discuss.(250 words)
why this question:
The question is about discussing the concept of regionalism and its role both positive and negative in defining the federal character of the country.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must first elaborate on what is Regionalism, what are the causes of it, its impact and implications on the federal character of the country. Compare and contrast each of these implications – both positive and negative and examine what needs to be done.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Discuss Regionalism as an ideology.
Discuss the following aspects in the answer:
- What is Indian regionalism?
- example of regionalism in India
- What are the causes of regionalism in India?
- Its link with the federal character of the country.
- explain regionalism as an ideology and political movement that seeks to advance the causes of regions.
Conclude with optimism that regionalism should be used to unify rather than divide the country.