Topic: Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
4) Discuss the potential of Blue economy in India. What are the issues associated and what needs to be done to harness the available potential?(250 words)
Why this question:
Recently vice-president Venkaiah Naidu, cautioned against the further degradation of oceans and their ecosystem and harnessing the potential of blue economy in his visit to Goa. Thus it becomes important for us to ponder upon Blue economy in India and its significance.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the enormous potential of the blue economy must necessarily be harnessed to achieve higher growth for the coastal regions, river regions etc of the country and initiate appropriate programmes for sustainable harnessing of ocean reserves.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduce by highlighting the significance of blue economy in India.
Answers must discuss the following aspects :
- What do you understand by Blue economy.
- potential linkages between blue economy, economic growth, port
development, international relations and security, and ocean resource conservation etc.
- discuss the need to develop technologies that enable deep sea mining, underwater vehicles and robotics, and the extraction of minerals from the sea.
- highlighting the opportunities and challenges for India etc.
Emphasize the importance and suggest a way forward.