Topic– population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
2) Discuss the issues involved in identification of poor in India. What needs to be done for removing the flaws associated with identifying poor? (250 words)
Why this question:
The question is about recognizing the fact that there are issues involved in identifying poor in India, and this is a major flaw in the system that hinders the benefits that our policies and schemes aim to give the poor of the country.
Demand of the question:
This question seeks to examine the issues associated with identification of poor in the country and what measures are required to be taken to do away with.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Start by explaining how big a problem identification of poor is in India.
Discuss the following aspects –
- What are the available concepts in India for identifying poor? – elaborate here on the evolution of poverty line, chronology of events etc.
- Discuss the Pre-cursor to Official Measurement of Poverty.
- Poverty Estimation by Dandekar and Rath, various Expert Group to Review the Methodology for Measurement of Poverty.
- Suggest what needs to be done to overcome? – more focus on research, doing away with obsolete methods etc.
Conclude with importance of methods to identify poor and its relevance in economic and social development of the country.