Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
4) The recognition of the disputed area of Golan Heights would mark a major shift in US policy. Critically analyse.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is in the recent move of US President Trump backing Israeli sovereignty over Golan Heights, a long-disputed piece of territory. Thus the recognition of the disputed area would mark a major shift in US policy, thus it becomes important for us to understand the nitty-gritties of the situation from geopolitical angle.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must revolve around the significance of Golan heights, Israel had captured much of the Golan from Syria in a 1967 war and annexed it, this move was not endorsed internationally. And amidst such a situation the marked policy shift of US around the Israeli Prime Minister’s re-election campaign calls for evaluation of the significance.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyse, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with quoting the locational facts of Golan heights.
- Draw a map of the location, if possible mark some relevant information showing geo-political significance of the region.
- Then move onto discussing strategic importance of Golan heights. Presently 2/3rd area of Golan Heights is under the control of Israel. Remaining part is under control of Syria.
- Importance of Golan Heights: It provides strategic significance to Israel as Damascus (Capital of Syria) is clearly visible from Golan Heights. The Soil of Golan Heights is so fertile that it is useful to cultivate Vine yards and Orchards.
- Then discuss the policy shift and its implication on the overall equation of geopolitics in the region.
Conclude with possible consequences and realignment of global powers.