Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
3) ‘Despite various efforts for eradication of Leprosy by the government in India, India still accounts for 60% of new leprosy cases annually’. Explain by giving reasons. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article centers on the inadequacies in our bout against leprosy, which we often assume is a challenge that has been dealt with. The article doles out with a foremost health crisis that impacts the most vulnerable section of our society.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss leprosy as major health challenge still persistent in India. We need to reflects the poor state of affairs with respect to eradication of the program, the steps taken so far in dealing with leprosy, how they have managed to improve the situation from the past till present, and the new challenges that have arisen, and our view on tackling the leprosy problem.
Explain – Clarify the topic by giving a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer
Briefly highlight the leprosy challenge the country is facing and highlight the observation mentioned in the article regarding the growing incident of leprosy cases amongst the socially marginalized.
Answers must discuss the following aspects :
- Highlight the steps taken by the government such as the National Leprosy Eradication Programme, National Health Policy, multi drug therapy treatments etc., trace from past to present.
- Present the problems faced by leprosy patients, along with the deficiencies in government’s strategy.
- Point out the flawed policy regime, discriminatory laws etc.
- Discuss what needs to be done, suggest way forward – improved nationwide Leprosy Case Detection Campaign (LCDC), multi drug therapy (MDT), significance of Personal Laws Amendment Bill, 2018 etc.
Emphasize that leprosy’s persistence reflects poorly on a country aspiring to become a world power, thus its high time to focus on the issue with all vigor and make efficient efforts to resolve.