Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: Role of women and women’s organization.
1) Evaluate the contribution of contemporary women movement in women empowerment.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is in the context of contributions made by the contemporary women for the women movements held in demand for equal rights, equity, economic and social empowerment etc. Thus the question becomes important from the point of view of GS paper I.
Key demands of the question:
The question envisages us to discuss the phenomena of contemporary women led movements and the factors responsible for it. One has to track development of a number of feminist activities in various parts of the country justifying the contribution of contemporary women crusade in women empowerment.
Evaluate – When you are asked to evaluate, you have to pass a sound judgement about the truth of the given statement in the question or the topic based on evidences. You have to appraise the worth of the statement in question. There is scope for forming a personal opinion here.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly discuss the significance of women empowerment.
The body of the answer should address the following dimensions:
- First explain what exactly constitute women movement?
- Discuss in short how the role of women in Indian society has evolved over the ages.
- Discuss the rise of feminist movement in India in 1970s and how women have been empowered through legislations and societal changes.
- Elaborate on different streams of feminist orientations in India – one on aspects of polity, specific movements for social change in order to effect the revolutionary transformation of society, Radical Feminists, development of feminists etc.
- Quote case studies from India.
Conclude with few of their achievements made in this direction and suggest upon their crucial role.