Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
The Mizoram Maintenance of Household Registers Bill, 2019
What to study?
For Prelims: Key features and significance of the Bill, need for legislation on this.
Context: The Mizoram Assembly has unanimously passed the Mizoram Maintenance of Household Registers Bill, 2019.
- It aims to create registers containing the names, details and photographs of every resident of the state, on a household basis, in an effort to detect illegal foreigners staying and “eating away” benefits of development schemes.
- As per the Bill, it shall be the responsibility of every householder as well as every member of household in the state to furnish all such information, particulars and passport-size photographs of the members of the household as may be required by the registering authorities,”
- Once the information prescribed by the state government is received, the concerned registering authority will compile the details in two distinct registers- one for the citizen residents and another for non-citizen residents of a village/area/town.
- Information furnished by individuals for the registers would be “verified and counter-signed by the president of the local branch of the state-level NGOs as may be designated by the state government from time to time”.
- The Bill says that all government departments and police may use the household registers for administrative purposes, during implementation of development schemes and law enforcement.
- It defines “citizens” as a person registered as such, or having requisite qualification as prescribed under the Citizenship Act, 1955.
What necessitated this?
- Influx of foreigners into Mizoram through its porous borders has remained a serious concern for several decades. In many cases the benefit of development and welfare programmes are found eaten away to a large extent by such foreigners who clandestinely stayed back and got assimilated in the people of the state by taking advantage of the mistaken identity and of difficulties in detecting them.
- Large scale influx of foreigners and their malafide assimilation with the permanent residents in the villages of Mizoram has led to an “abnormal increase in the population” and poses a law and order threat.
Sources: the hindu.