Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: Issues relating to intellectual property rights.
6) India needs a robust IPR Policy to have growth and development. comment. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article highlights the fact that India has posted highest growth in patent applications in 2018. Thus signifying India’s participation in the international patent system, this necessitates us to analyse the need for a robust IPR Policy in India.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must trace the issues related to intellectual property rights in India and discuss why we are still lacking a robust IPR regime that can harness India’s potential in global race of patenting.
Comment– here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Structure of the answer:
Introduce by highlighting the current scenario of Indian patent system.
In brief discuss the following points :
- What are Patents? Importance of Patents.
- Discuss the present India’s National Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy; its objectives.
- The need for robust IPR policy in India is amidst the fact that emerging countries faces fresh challenges from the developed world and mega regional trade agreements.
- Discuss the issues associated with the current policy and what needs to be done to make it more robust.
Conclude with necessity of having a robust IPR policy in India.