- March 18, 2019
- Posted by: InsightsIAS
- Category: INSIGHTS
- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: About Ramakrishna- teachings, beliefs, contributions and famous disciples, Ramakrishna Mission.
Context: In a bid to conserve environment, the Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission will break an age-old tradition this year, 2019 and do away with the practice of having a fireworks display as part of the birth anniversary celebrations of Sri Ramakrishna.
- Ramakrishna Paramhansa was one of the leading Hindu spiritual leaders in 19th century.
- He was born as Gadadhar Chattopadhyay on February 18, 1836, in Kamarpukur, in Hooghly district of West Bengal.
- He emphasised that the realization of the existence of God is the supreme goal of all living beings. For him, various religions were only a means to reach the Absolute.
- Among his most famous disciples was Swami Vivekananda, who became famous across the world in his own right.
- Reverence and admiration for him among Bengali elites led to the formation of the Ramakrishna Mission by his chief disciple Swami Vivekananda.
Sources: the hindu.