Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: Disaster and disaster management
7) “The relationship between disaster and development depends on the development choices made by the individual, community and the nation”. Discuss. (250 words)
Why this question:
The question is in the backdrop of recent incidence of foot over bridge that collapsed in Mumbai. The incidence hints at the relationship between man made disasters and the role played by Man in his development policies.
Key demand of the question:
The question is about the fact that while focusing on development goals, the countries have to adjust their policies and priorities to rearrange valuable resources to deal with occurrences and challenges of a variety of natural, man-made, and technological disasters, which are directly or indirectly related to economic development. In this case the incidence of collapse of foot over bridge is not the first of its type.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Introduce with a few lines on importance of disaster management and highlight the need with respect to Man made disasters.
Discuss the following:
- Bring out the importance of Disaster management in managing man-made disasters.
- Discuss the Socio-Economic and Political Consequence of such disasters.
- Explain the implications, positive or negative ones, and how it depends on the unique social and cultural setup of local communities and the managerial capacity of their disaster and development.
- What can be done? – suggest policy changes required in this direction.
Conclude as – It is high time that India takes stringent measures
Have a robust disaster recovery systemin the country to manage and mitigate such losses.