Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic : Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
4) “Lately, the Indian statistics and the institutions associated have however come under a cloud for being influenced and even controlled by political reflections.” Critically analyse.(250 words)
Why this question:
The Indian statistical system is perhaps facing its sharpest criticism in recent memory. The data released by the government recently are being openly questioned. The question is in the background of resignation of two members of the National Statistical Commission—including the acting chairman—last week, while protesting the delay in the publication of employment data, among other things.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must critically analyse the topic in question, provide for recent incidences that are evidences of such anomaly in indicating the achievements of the government; National Sample Survey Office – unemployment rate, involvement of NITI Aayog in the release of new gross domestic product (GDP) etc.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with the highlights of the recent incidences that prove the political interference in publishing reports in their favor and fear.
The answer should capture the following aspects:
- Discuss at a broader level, amidst recent controversies regarding jobs and GDP data made headlines, why the statistical system in the country needs to be reassessed.
- What are ill effects of such an anomaly?
- Why is it important to improve the Statistical system?
- Significance of Statistical systems and their role in economy and development.
Re-stress on the importance of statistical systems and the reforms needed to keep them unbiased.