Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
5) Discuss the key features of Official Secrets Act. Has the act become archaic and irrelevant in today’s times? Critically analyse in the light of recent incidence of ‘Stolen documents’ in Rafale case. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses the nuances of the Official secrets Act in the backdrop of recent Attorney-General’s request for criminal action against those responsible for making stolen documents on the Rafale deal public.
Key demand of the question:
The question wants us to write in detail about the key features and provisions of the Official Secrets Act and evaluate its relevance as of today.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with a brief discussion of the current context of Stolen documents of the Rafale case.
The answer should capture the following aspects:
- What is the issue?
- What are the key features of OSA?
- Trace the evolution of the Act.
- notable convictions so far under the Act?
- A comparison with similar laws in other countries.
Conclude with significance of reforms required by the Act.