Topic: Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
4) Examine the philosophy behind Model code of conduct in India. How has it evolved over the years? Analyse.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article is in the background of upcoming Lok Sabha elections, it provides for a detailed analysis of the importance of Model code conduct in India and it traces the evolution of MCC with time and changing dynamics of the Indian polity.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the significance of Model code of conduct in professing free and fair elections, emphasis upon the philosophy guiding it and trace its evolution over the period since its inception.
Examine – When asked to ‘Examine’, we have to look into the topic (content words) in detail, inspect it, investigate it and establish the key facts and issues related to the topic in question. While doing so we should explain why these facts and issues are important and their implications.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with a brief on Model code of conduct – what is it ? why is it essential.
Discuss the following:
- What is Model code of conduct – underlying philosophy; consensus document, parties and candidates should show respect for their opponents, criticize their policies and programmes constructively, and not resort to mudslinging and personal attacks.
- Importance of Model code of conduct.
- Trace its evolution – Kerala being first state to adopt, revisions of MCC etc
- What are the challenges faced by MCC and how to overcome them? – social media, corruption etc.
Conclude with the importance of the use of Model code of conduct in conducting free and fair elections.