Topic: Role of women and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
3) “Old ideas of gendered roles retain their appeal even in today’s world, we need to move beyond reflections about family relationships and motherhood and women’s inalienable duties to society”. In the light of the above statement , Examine Women’s current position in Indian political system. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article explains in detail the irony Women face in the backdrop of traditional Gendered roles and societal stereotypes. It discusses in detail the Indian context with the background of upcoming Lok Sabha elections and the sorry picture of women participation in Indian political system.
Key demand of the question:
The answer should discuss – role of women in social, economic and political system. The causes and consequences of gendered roles and stereotypes in our country and the need to move beyond reflections about family relationships and motherhood and women’s inalienable duties to society.
Examine – When asked to ‘Examine’, we have to look into the topic (content words) in detail, inspect it, investigate it and establish the key facts and issues related to the topic in question. While doing so we should explain why these facts and issues are important and their implications.
Structure of the answer
Briefly bring out the role of Women in the society.
Discussion of the answer should cover:
- Significance of Women in the society – social, economic and political.
- Why the idea of gendered roles is outdated and should be done away with?
- Discuss examples of the prevalence in Indian context.
- Can bring in a dimension of care ethics vs Feminist ethics.
Conclude with what needs to be done, What path should India take to empower women.