Topic: Disaster and disaster management.
7) While northern India is witnessing an extended winter season, the southern part of the country has started experiencing heat wave conditions this March, In this context discuss the significance and relevance of India Cooling Action Plan (ICAP).(250 words)
Why this question:
The articles provide for a coverage of the recent anomaly in the weather conditions of India and importance of India Cooling Action Plan (ICAP). Thus making it important from the point of view of GS III paper.
Key demand of the question:
The answer should discuss the salient features of the programme, the objectives of it. you must also detail and emphasis on the need for a comprehensive policy and coordinated approach to deal with such anomalies in weather condition that can affect multiple sectors of economy such as agriculture, health etc.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Briefly narrate the background of the issue, discuss the importance of the programme in the same context.
Discussion of the answer should capture the following points :
- What is the issue ? why is there a changing trend in weather/climatic conditions.
- Importance of the programme – ICAP.
- Salient features and objectives of ICAP.
- Benefits of the scheme, challenges and issues faced in implementation.
- Need for such schemes , suggest a way forward.
Conclude with need for holistic approach to address the issue and suggest a way forward.