Topic– Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country.
2) In what way did Nehru’s plan for modernization make rapid tread during the decade 1951 – 61?(250 words)
Bipin Chandra – India after Independence
Why this question:
The question is about how Nehruvian Thought shaped the formative years of India as it emerged from 200 years of British colonialism, his plan of action for modernization for the decade of 1951 -61.
demand of the question:
The answer must bring out the pivotal role of Nehru in modernization ; Nehru as a hostage to the development economics consensus of his times, both in terms of its insights as well as its policies. His role as an economic modernist, his belief of rapid industrialization as the most effective way to win the battle against mass poverty.
Structure of the answer:
Narrate the background of events under Nehru’s years of Indian modernization.
- Discuss his methods and ideas;
- how he advocated state-sponsored industrialisation, increasing the “wealth-producing capacity” and using atomic energy for civilian use and also the fact that he realised for industrialisation to be viable it needed a supportive agrarian economy and a small-scale industrial base.
- His ideas on town planning — going beyond roads and parks to education, recreation, employment and business — were remarkably modern.
- He proposed that every village should have a panchayat, a cooperative society, and a school etc.
principle of non-alignment, first-rate institutions”, models of economic development etc.
conclude with the significance of his contributions in modernization of Indian economy and society.