Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
4) “Nuclear weapons offer us nothing but a balance of terror, and a balance of terror is still terror”. Critically analyse the statement in the backdrop of recent failure of denuclearization talks between the US and the North Korea.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article brings out the failure of talks held at Hanoi recently between US and North Korea, the recent conflicts between US and North Korea are being tried to be turned into a diplomatic opportunity, but the failure of talks hint at the arms race both the States are engaging in.
Key demand of the question:
The question expects the appreciation of arms race between the two countries in terms of Nuclear power.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
Start by bringing out the recent tensions between North Korea and the U.S. that have escalated to the point where any military action on either side would likely lead to another all-out war between the two.
Body should discuss the following broad aspects in detail –
- Nuclear power; balance of power or terror? Explain through background and associated facts.
- Recent escalations between the two countries.
- North Korea’s Nuclear complex – its impact on Asian countries and specifically with respect to India.
- Need for courageous diplomacy to denuclearize.
Conclude with how priority should be to normalize ties between North Korea and important countries so as to move towards a non – nuclearized world.