Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology and issues relating to intellectual property rights.
7) 5G technology can fulfil the vast potential ascribed to it these past years. Examine. (250 words)
Why this question
The article brings out the huge potential of 5G technology and discusses its application and the impact on various sectors. The technology has been in news for quite some time and the article provides an interesting insight into its various applications.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to first explain about 5g technology and thereafter discuss its potential in various areas and how it can prove useful. The question also expects us to discuss the impact of these applications and discuss how India can make use of it in the best possible manner.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain what do you understand by 5g technology.
- Discuss the various applications of the technology such as
- 5G not only represents a generational leap in connectivity speeds, the new network standard will also introduce lower latency (for improved response) and the ability to connect more devices at once
- 5G will revolutionize the mobile experience with supercharged wireless network, which can support up to 10 to 20 GBPS of data download speed. It is equivalent to a fiber optic Internet connection accessed wirelessly. Compared to conventional mobile transmission technologies, voice and high-speed data can be simultaneously transferred efficiently in 5G etc
- Discuss the various areas in which the technology can be employed for better results
- Industry 4.0,
- mixed reality (MR) applications, which is augmented reality (AR) plus virtual reality (VR),
- sports and entertainment,
- fixed wireless access
- autonomous vehicles etc
- Discuss the limitations of the technology – High investment cost which makes telecom companies unsure about RoI, in India the telecom sector is facing capital augmentation issues which need to be resolved etc
Conclusion – Give your view on the potential of the technology and the way forward.