Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic – Indian freedom struggle- Phases
4) The growth of “Gandhian nationalism” also depended to a very substantial extent on Mahatma Gandhi’s followers. Comment.(250 words)
Comment- here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to express our knowledge and understanding of the Gandhian phase of nationalism and express our opinion as to what extent was the phase contributed by leaders and freedom fighters other than Gandhi.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about Mahatma Gandhi and his role. E.g While Mahatma Gandhi’s mass appeal was undoubtedly genuine – and in the context of Indian politics, without precedent – it must also be stressed that his success in broadening the basis of nationalism was based on careful organisation.
Discuss the contribution of leaders and freedom fighters, including Gandhi, in Gandhian nationalism. E.g
- Between 1917 and 1922, a group of highly talented Indians attached themselves to Gandhiji.
- They included Mahadev Desai, Vallabh Bhai Patel, J.B. Kripalani, Subhas Chandra Bose, Abul Kalam Azad, Jawaharlal Nehru, Sarojini Naidu, Govind Ballabh Pant and C. Rajagopalachari.
- Notably, these close associates of Gandhiji came from different regions as well as different religious traditions.
- In turn, they inspired countless other Indians to join the Congress and work for it.
- Discuss briefly the role of some of the above mentioned freedom fighters etc.
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.