Topic-Indian Freedom Struggle- Phases
1) The Congress programme during the first phase (1885-1905) was very modest. Discuss.(250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the moderate phase of the congress between 1885 and 1905. We have to write in detail about the first phase and its modest programme.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the moderate phase of Indian freedom struggle. E.g The early years (1885- 1905) saw the evolution of Indian National Congress. During this period the Congress was dominated by moderate leaders.
Discuss about the programme of the first phase of the congress and bring out how it was modest in nature. E.g
- the organisation of the provincial councils,
- simultaneous examination for the I.C.S. in India and England,
- the abolition or reconstitution of the Indian Council,
- the separation of the Judiciary from the executive,
- the repeal of the Arms Act,
- the appointment of Indians to the commissioned ranks in the Army,
- the reduction of military expenditure, and
- the introduction of Permanent Settlement to other parts of India.
This phase of the Congress is known as the Moderate phase. During this period the leaders
were cautious in their demands. They did not want to annoy the government and incur the
risk of suppression of their activities.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.