- Development processes and the development industry the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
Parents Responsibility and Norms for Accountability and Monitoring (PRANAM) Bill
What to study?
- For Prelims: Key features of the Bill, PRANAM commission.
- For Mains: Significance, need and potential of the proposed legislation.
Context: Assam has launched the PRANAM Commission, a panel set up to look after the issues concerning a Bill brought in for protection of parents of state government employees.
- The Parents Responsibility and Norms for Accountability and Monitoring (PRANAM) Bill, stated to be the first-of its-kind Bill in the country, is an effort to protect elderly parents of government employees in their times of need.
Objective of the bill: To ensure that no state government employee ignores their elderly parents and unmarried differently-abled siblings.
- The PRANAM Bill makes it mandatory for the state government employees to look after their parents and unmarried differently-abled siblings who do not have their own sources of income.
- Under the bill’s provisions, if the PRANAM Commission gets a complaint that parents of a state government employee are being ignored, then 10 or 15 per cent of the employee’s salary will be deducted by the government and paid to the parents or differently-abled siblings.
- The employees of private companies and the central government working in the state would also be covered by the bill at a later stage.