Topic– Important aspects of governance,
5) India is a paradox in itself as being the world’s largest electoral wonder, but a flawed democracy. Comment in the light of the “State of Democracy in the World in 2018- report”(250 words)
Why this question
The article provides insights into the Indian socio-political landscape and analyzes India’s poor performance as per the “State of Democracy in the World in 2018- report”.
Comment- here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to express our knowledge and understanding of the Indian socio-political landscape and express our opinion as to whether or not India is a paradox in itself as being the world’s largest electoral wonder, but a flawed democracy.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about Indian democracy. E.g mention about the India being the world’s largest democracy and at the same time poor performer on the front of governance and human development.
Discuss about the recent “State of Democracy in the World in 2018- report” and how India is a paradox in terms of being an electoral wonder but a flawed democracy. E.g
- The Economist Intelligence Unit recently published its 11th report on the “State of Democracy in the World in 2018” titled “Me Too? Political participation, protest and democracy”.
- The survey ranks 165 independent countries based on five parameters — namely, electoral process and pluralism, civil liberties, functioning of the government, political participation and political culture.
- India, which had reached its highest-ever position of 27 in 2014 (just two ranks away from becoming a full democracy), slipped to 42 last year, registering the second largest fall in ranking.
- This is the worst ranking ever on the index for India. It is a mid-range country among flawed democracies, with a high score of 9.17 in electoral process and pluralism but moderate record not crossing 7.5 on the rest of the parameters.
- What has adversely affected Indian rankings, according to the report last year, is the rise of “conservative religious ideologies”. Vigilantism, violence, narrowing scope for dissent, threat to minorities and marginalised groups has affected our ranking etc.
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.