Topic– Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
1) Several foreigners made India their homeland and participated in various movements. Analyze their role in the Indian struggle for freedom.(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the role played by foreigners who settled in India in the various social, political, cultural movements that took place in India. We have to discuss their contributions and examine its impact.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain that a lot of foreigners throughout history have made India their home and contributed immensely to the nation including during the freedom struggle.
- Discuss the contributions of some of the foreigners to the various movements that took place in the pre independence era
- The members of Asiatic Society of Bengal were well acquainted with Indian traditions and led the debate in favor of Eastern education in vernacular language. Though they could not succeed in their efforts, it highlights the respect and recognition to Indian tradition.
- The efforts of Annie Besant for Home Rule along the Irish lines in India denote the reach of the moral voice of the Indian National Movement against British exploitation. She not only led the Home Rule League but was also elected as first woman President of Indian National Congress.
- The most significant event perhaps was A.O Hume’s contribution towards founding of Indian National Congress, which spearheaded the freedom struggle. etc
Conclusion – Summarize your answer by examining the impact of these contributions.