- Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate.
Islamic Cooperation countries (OIC)
What to study?
- For Prelims: IOC- key facts.
- For Mains: India’s involvement in the organization, need, significance and challenges.
Context: In a 1st, India invited to OIC meet as ‘guest of honour’.
India has never been invited to the OIC before and the latest development, coming at a time when the India-Pakistan tension is running high, is being seen as a diplomatic success.
About the OIC:
Organisation of Islamic Cooperation is an international organization founded in 1969, consisting of 57 member states.
- It is the second largest inter-governmental organization after the United Nations.
- The organisation states that it is “the collective voice of the Muslim world” and works to “safeguard and protect the interests of the Muslim world in the spirit of promoting international peace and harmony“.
- The OIC has permanent delegations to the United Nations and the European Union.