Topic- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
6) “Wisdom, compassion, and courage are the three universally recognized moral qualities of men”- Confucius. Explain what do you understand by the statement.(250 words)
Explain-here we have to make something clear or easy to understand by describing or giving information about it.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to explain in detail about the meaning of the above statement as per our own understanding. We have to bring out the virtues of wisdom, compassion and courage and explain why they are important.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the Confucius. E.g Confucius was an influential Chinese philosopher, teacher and political figure who lived from 551 BCE until 479 BCE. He was known for his popular teachings and quotes on education and social interaction.
Explain in points as to what do you understand by the statement. E.g
- Wisdom can be defined as understanding the true nature of things and this is inseparable from understanding their purpose.
- To understand the true nature of something one must know why it exists and consequently wisdom and purpose are closely linked.
- Developing courage means becoming fearless without being reckless. Courage is necessary to begin new endeavors as well as for being persistent in seeing them through.
- Compassion in the Buddhist tradition means to end suffering and to give joy.
- Acts of kindness, understanding for the needs of others, a supportive and collaborative attitude all result from love and have a profound impact on the concerned person as well as the society as a whole
- Happiness cannot be achieved without compassion and love; the two are closely linked in their aim to overcome selfishness and to serve happiness etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.