Topic– India and its bilateral relations
5) What choices does India have in dealing with Pakistan to curb the constant export of terror? Discuss. (250 words)
Why this question
The recent Pulwama attack and the role of Pakistan based terror groups in the attack has once again brought the focus on India Pakistan relations and the options before India with respect to Pakistan. The article discusses these issues and examines the potential policy solutions for India.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the status of India Pakistan relationship and highlight the potential steps that India could take in the aftermath of Pulwama attack. It expects us to analyze the pros and cons of the decision and discuss way forward.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain about the recent Pulwama attack and Pakistan’s role in it.
- Discuss in brief the history of India Pakistan relations and the threats to indian security emanating from Pakistan and its long standing role in Kashmir and exporting terror to India.
- Discuss the options available before India
- Highlight one of the steps that India has already taken by removing the MFN status for Pakistan and enhancing customs duty on goods from Pakistan to 200%, effectively ending bilateral trade. Highlight the impact of the step.
- Highlight Pakistan’s predicament with balance of payment crisis and how India can strike it hard if India succeeds in convincing major shareholders of the IMF — the US, European countries, Japan and China — and international organisations like the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) of the Pakistan state’s involvement in these attacks, an IMF bailout of Pakistan, which looked like a distinct possibility will be in jeopardy
- Debate whether it would make sense for India to wage a war with limited military objective etc
- Analyze the pros and cons of these steps
Conclusion – give your fair and balanced view on how India should respond and discuss the way forward.