Topic- salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
3) During the age of the Guptas, literature flourished and a number of literary masterpieces were produced. Discuss. (250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the growth and development of the literature during the Gupta age- main contribution, major literary artists and their works.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the Gupta age and its glory. E.g The Gupta Empire stretched across northern, central and parts of southern India between c. 320 and 550 CE. The period is noted for its achievements in the arts, architecture, sciences, religion, and philosophy.
Discuss in points the contribution of the Gupta empire towards Indian literature and also mention the important literary figures of the time and their works. E.g
- Sanskrit once again attained the status of a lingua franca and managed to scale even greater heights than before.
- Poet and playwright Kalidasa created such epics as Abhijnanasakuntalam, Malavikagnimitram, Raghuvansha and Kumarsambhaba.
- Harishena, a renowned poet, panegyrist and flutist, composed Allahabad Prasasti,
- Sudraka wrote Mricchakatika, Vishakhadatta created Mudrarakshasa and Vishnusharma penned Panchatantra.
- Vararuchi, Baudhayana, Ishwar Krishna and Bhartrihari contributed to both Sanskrit and Prakrit linguistics, philosophy and science.
- Varahamihira wrote Brihatsamhita and also contributed to the fields of astronomy and astrology.
- Genius mathematician and astronomer Aryabhata wrote Surya Siddhanta which covered several aspects of geometry, trigonometry and cosmology.
- Dhanvantri’s discoveries helped the Indian medicinal system of ayurveda become more refined and efficient etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.