Topic– Indian Art and culture
1) Safeguarding the Indian art heritage is the need of the moment. Comment(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain what constitutes Indian art and heritage, why this heritage is under threat, why we need to safeguard India’s art heritage and the steps that need to be taken for the same.
Comment – When you are asked to comment, you have to pick main points and give your ‘opinion’ on them based on evidences or arguments stemming from your wide reading. Your opinion may be for or against, but you must back your argument with evidences.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain about what all is included in India’s art heritage – paintings, sculpture, monuments etc
- Highlight that preserving our heritage is enshrined as a fundamental duty
- Examine the threats to art heritage such as
- Lack of public awareness -This makes the local administrator break the buildings and replace it with other structures.
- Duplication of paintings and art forms
- Smuggling etc
- Discuss why it is crucial to safeguard such heritage such as maintaining identity and pride of our country, tourism etc
- Discuss the way forward such as
- Strengthening institutions – Ministry of Culture, ASI, Museums, Archives, etc.
- Cultural awareness programs etc
Conclusion – Summarize on why this issue requires attention and what needs to be done.