Topic– Issues related to education, human resources
7) Teacher training requires an urgent overhaul in India. Examine.(250 words)
Why this question
One of the major reason for our poor ranking in education indicators can be attributed to the quality of teaching staff in India. The article examines the issue and proposes solutions and thus is an important topic to be prepared for mains.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the problem with respect to quality of teachers in India and how it is impacting the education indicators of the country. Thereafter it expects us to discuss the problems with the existing system and why and what kind of overhaul it requires.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that teachers play an important role in improving education outcomes and the quality of teachers leave a lot to be desired in India.
- Explain the issue in detail
- India’s persistently low-learning outcomes gain momentum once again in light of Pratham’s Annual Status Of Education Report
- Pratham CEO Rukmini Banerji has highlighted the central role of teachers in improving learning outcomes
- Unfortunately, teachers in India, especially those in the government school system, are largely seen as a governance problem, with the focus on getting them into the classroom rather than developing their skills and motivation.
- Explain the problems with the current system
- National Council of Educational Research and Training study finds there is no systematic incorporation of teacher feedback into designing trainings, and little variation or consideration of local issues
- The outcome of such training is limited and there is no measure of whether this is translated into classroom practice. Eventually, such factors have significant multiplier effects in how they de-professionalize the larger teaching profession and drive down a teacher’s “internal responsibility”—the sense of duty to the job, shaped by the environment in which the teacher operates.
- Discuss the nature of solutions required to the problem
- Incorporation of teacher feedback
- Strengthening the training system etc
Conclusion – Give a fair and balanced view and discuss way forward.