Topic– Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Human Resources
6) The advent of Industry 4.0 requires a human centric approach unlock growth. Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the potential human capital related challenge that is likely given the way 4th industrial revolution is shaping up. The article also discusses how nations have started gearing up and India needs to follow suit. The article touches several topics in GS2 and GS3 syllabus and thus needs to be discussed in detail.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the changes brought about by the advent of technology such as AI etc which is giving rise to 4th IR. Thereafter, it expects us to discuss how skill upgradation is necessary to deal with these changes and the efforts of India in comparison to other countries in bringing about such changes. Finally, we need to provide a fair and balanced opinion and discuss way forward.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain about what do you mean by 4th IR.
- Discuss the changes brought about by 4th IR and how adapting to such changes require an emphasis on learning and unlearning.
- The World Economic Forum estimates 75 million jobs may be displaced, but 133 million new roles may emerge globally in a few years. These new jobs will be different and will require higher application of cognitive skills alongside working with deep technologies.
- McKinsey says pretty much the same thing with more alarming statistics over a broader time horizon. Globally, 400 to 800 million jobs may be displaced by 2030, requiring as many as 375 million people to switch job categories entirely. Numerous studies have been carried out (including by Nasscom) and it’s clear why re-skilling is an imperative.
- Highlight how other nations have started dealing with this challenge –
- Countries have started to put in place national digital skills strategies, including in Asia etc
- Discuss what India needs to do.
Conclusion – Give a fair and balanced opinion and discuss way forward.