Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic- salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
3) Avadhana is a unique classical Indian art of spontaneous creation. Discuss.(250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the Avadhana as an art form and write at length about the creativity involved therein.
Structure of the answer
Introduction- write a few introductory lines about the Avadhana. E.g Avadhana literally means concentration. Avadhana is a unique classical Indian art of spontaneous creation. It is a feat of the mind.
Discuss in points about Avadhana, in detail and discuss the creativity involved in the art form. E.g
- In an avadhana, a person is expected to simultaneously cogitate and answer questions on a variety of topics related to literature, music, astronomy, medical science and more.
- The oldest available details of Ashtavadhana are recorded in Kannada language, dating back to 1200 A.D. In ancient India, the method of “avadhana-kala” or “art of concentration” was developed to memorize the Vedas.
- It involves the partial improvisation of poems using specific themes, metres, forms, or words.
- The true purpose of an Avadhanam event thus is the showcasing, through entertainment, of superior mastery of cognitive capabilities – of observation, memory, multitasking, task switching, retrieval, reasoning and creativity in multiple modes of intelligence – literature, poetry, music, mathematical calculations, puzzle solving etc.
- Avadhānaṃ can be considered as the Divided attention (clinical model of attention) as it is the highest level of attention and it refers to the ability to respond simultaneously to multiple tasks or multiple task demands.
- There were many types of avadhanas which have been developed, depending on the number of examiners and the types of questions which are posed to the subject. If there are eight examiners, it is called ashtavadhana (ashta = eight in Sanskrit).
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.