- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- Infrastructure- roadways and energy.
Guidelines on Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure
What to study?
- For Prelims: Key Guidelines on Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure.
- For Mains: Policy and schemes related to e- vehicles and their significance, challenges in the sector and reforms needed.
Context: Government has issued guidelines to upgrade the charging infrastructure in the country to boost the electric vehicles.
In this regard, the Union Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry has made amendments to the Model Building Byelaws (MBBL) 2016 and Urban Regional Development Plans Formulation and Implementation (URDPFI) Guidelines 2014, making provisions for establishing EV charging infrastructure.
Key Features of the Guidelines:
- A public charging station should be on both sides of the highways or roads on every 25 km.
- For long range and heavy-duty electric vehicles, there should be at least one station on each side of the highway every 100 kilometres.
- Charging facilities will also be available at bus depots and transport hubs within three years. In the first phase, to be completed by 2021, mega cities — with a population of over 4 million as per the 2011 census — will be covered.
- The government has also permitted private charging at residences and offices.
Significance of these guidelines:
The centre estimates that 25% of the total vehicles on roads will be electric vehicles by 2030. This necessitates the erection of robust electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure across the country. The guidelines are a step forward in this direction.
Besides, India is committed to United Nations’ goal to take urgent action to combat climate change. Government has initiated several steps to reduce dependence on fossil fuels. One of such steps is to encourage environment-friendly electric cars.
Sources: the hindu.
Mains Question: The recent guidelines with respect to charging stations for electric vehicles will finally boost electric vehicles in the country. Critically examine.