Topic– code of ethics and code of conduct
8) Critically examine whether code of ethics should be made legally enforceable for politicians and civil servants in India? (250 words)
Key demand of the question.
The question expects us to highlight the pros and cons of making code of ethics legally enforceable for ensuring probity in public life. Finally we need to provide our fair and balanced opinion and discuss way forward.
Critically examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any . When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, all you need to do is look at the good and bad of something and give a fair judgement.
Introduction – explain about what is meant by code of ethics – Code of ethics represents certain values and norms that standardise one’s behaviour in different aspects of life. It leads to morality in actions and thus ensures fairness and justice to all.
- Explain why making code of ethics legally enforceable would be beneficial by highlighting what kind of situation can be avoided
- Prevalence of corruption
- Lack of probity in public life
- Horse trading, defections often show lack of integrity and organizational ethics. Officials taking prejudiced decisions or favouring a ideology while discharging official duties
- Discuss the relevance of code of ethics
- It helps one in situations of dilemma. One may follow the code and function ethically.
- Sets benchmark for appropriate behavior. Provides a framework for reference in case discretionary powers are to be used.
- The relevance is more in present society where values and ethics are on decline either seemingly because of greater awareness or in reality
- Discuss the limitations
- A law will have limited utility, improvement of morals is required
- Add to litigation
- Not possible to define everything in a code, loopholes will be there etc
Conclusion – give your view and discuss way forward by talking about the recommendations of 2nd ARC