Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies.
- Conservation related issues.
National Board for Wildlife (NBWL)
What to study?
- For Prelims: NBWL- objectives, composition and functions.
- For Mains: Role and significance of NBWL in awarding environment clearances, need for reforms.
Context: India’s apex National Board for Wildlife (NBWL) has cleared 682 of the 687 projects (99.82%) that came up for scrutiny. Only five projects were rejected since August 2014.
About National Board for Wildlife:
- It is a “Statutory Organization” constituted under the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
- Its roles is “advisory” in nature and advises the Central Government on framing policies and measures for conservation of wildlife in the country.
- Primary function of the Board is to promote the conservation and development of wildlife and forests.
- It has power to review all wildlife-related matters and approve projects in and around national parks and sanctuaries.
- No alternation of boundaries in national parks and wildlife sanctuaries can be done without approval of the NBWL.
- Composition: The NBWL is chaired by the Prime Minister. It has 47 members including the Prime Minister. Among these, 19 members are ex-officio members. Other members include three Members of Parliament (two from Lok Sabha and one from Rajya Sabha), five NGOs and 10 eminent ecologists, conservationists and environmentalists.
Sources: the hindu.