Topic– Probity in Governance
4) What is probity and why is it important, Discuss.(250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the meaning and scope of probity. We have to discuss at length as to why probity is important at what purpose it serves.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the probity. E.g write a simple definition of probity- “the quality or condition of having strong moral principles, integrity, good character, honesty, decency.
- Discuss about probity in more detail. E.g Probity has been described as a risk management approach ensuring procedural integrity. It is concerned with procedures, processes and systems rather than outcomes.
- Discuss the importance and relevance of probity. E.g
- The principles of probity, ethics and good governance operate on many levels – from, the individual, to the organisation and on to the ‘watch-dog’.
- For individuals, probity is about understanding the limits of their authority and powers and acting within those limits. Public servants need to be conscious at all times of the need to uphold the highest standards of conduct in their dealings on the government’s behalf, which includes acting with integrity and avoiding conflicts of interest.
- For organisations, probity is about setting values at an organisation level, and then implementing those values through policies and codes of practice.
- It is then for managers to demonstrate those values through leadership, to positively reinforce the values and also to ensure compliance with, and enforcement of, the values etc.
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.