Topic- Emotional intelligence-concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
7) Explain the importance of emotional intelligence in workplaces. Explain how it differs from intelligence quotient. (250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain how emotional intelligence is important at workplaces and how the impact of intelligence quotient differs from emotional intelligence in general and particularly in workplaces.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain that emotional intelligence is the ability to identify, evaluate and manage emotions of self and of others. Emotional importance helps a person to deal with adverse situations in a better way.
- Discuss the role of emotional intelligence in public places
- Emotional intelligence is important at workplaces to build the social capital at work place by creating a positive work culture
- It’s role in managing stress
- Interacting and working with a team with diverse people etc
- Discuss how EQ differs from IQ
- IQ is assessment of an individual’s cognitive and knowledge grasping ability. EQ differs from IQ in following aspects : While its easy to measure IQ of a person through standard tests, measuring EQ is difficult because numerous parameters are involved; Possession of high EQ is becoming more important nowadays than high IQ, because high IQ makes good task performers, but high EQ makes a person an efficient doer, manager, negotiator, leader etc.
Conclusion – Summarize the role of emotional intelligence at workplaces.