Topic– Emotional intelligence-concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
6) Explain the role of emotional intelligence in administration and governance?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain what emotional intelligence is and how is it useful in administration and governance. We also need to discuss how can emotional intelligence concepts be better utilized in administration and governance.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain what emotional intelligence is – Emotional intelligence is generally said to include three skills: emotional awareness; the ability to harness emotions and apply them to tasks like thinking and problem solving; and the ability to manage emotions, which includes regulating your own emotions and of others.
- Discuss the role of emotional intelligence in governance
- There are actions in the realm of governance which remains spontaneous, intuitive or experience based. A person with emotional intelligence will respond better in such situations.
- Responsiveness to citizens must carry with it sensitivity and sympathy to public needs and demands and this means being aware of feelings and emotions. It also helps in managing emotional responses of the citizens.
- During a conflict situation, the ability to manage emotions may be the only way out
- Identifying emotions in faces, voices, postures, and other content during public management activities can help in giving a better response.
- Emotions could be evoked to motivate others to get the task done.
- Identifying emotions can also allow us to better evaluate the repercussions of our actions.
- Give examples of some administrators who have employed emotional intelligence in governance and succeeded.
Conclusion – Summarize the importance of emotional intelligence in governance and administration.