Topic -Awareness in the field of space
4) Space race is once again hotting up. Discuss in this context the prospect of Indo Japan cooperation and how will it prove beneficial?(250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the advancements made by space agencies of various countries and the strategic implications of the same. The article also discusses how India and Japan are cooperating in the arena of space research and why this cooperation is important.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain the advancements made by the space agencies of various countries and the space policies of the major powers which suggests that space race is hotting up. Thereafter, it expects us to discuss the strategic cooperation between India and Japan and why this is beneficial for India.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that the cold war witnessed the first space race and once again the competition is heating up amongst several space agencies in an era of geopolitical flux.
- Discuss the US space policy directive, landing on moon by China, the need to tap into space resources and making a base for further exploration and how several countries are involved in it
- Discuss the terms of India and Japan cooperation in space research
- Both Japan and India have been eyeing the growth of China’s military space programme under the leadership of the People’s Liberation Army. The changing balance of power equations in Asia along with the troubled history among key Asian powers are likely to lead to competition in the outer space domain as well.
- India-Japan strategic partnership has been growing stronger, and this also extends to their cooperation on matters of outer space. The two countries recently announced that they will be holding their first space security dialogue in March this year. Until now, India has held a space security dialogue only with the US, which began only in March 2015.
- Discuss the scope of indo japanese cooperation in space arena – Earth observation, satellite-based navigation, space sciences and lunar exploration.
Conclusion – Explain about the scope of this partnership and how this might prove useful for India.