- economics of animal-rearing.
Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog
What to study?
- For Prelims: Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog, Rashtriya Gokul Mission- objectives and key features.
- For Mains: Significance and the need for Conservation protection and development of cows and their progeny, challenges therein and measures to address these challenges.
Context: Cabinet approved the proposal for establishment of Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog for Conservation protection and development of cows and their progeny.
Functions of the Aayog:
- The Aayog will work in collaboration with Veterinary, Animal Sciences or Agriculture University or departments or organizations of the Central/State Government engaged in the task of research in the field of breeding and rearing of cow, organic manure, biogas etc.
- It will take up scientific activities for genetic upgradation and increasing productivity of cows.
- It will provide the policy framework and direction to the cow conservation and development programmes in the country and for ensuring proper implementation of laws with respect to the welfare of cows.
Union Minister, in interim budget, announced that Rs 750 crore would be allocated for the Rashtriya Gokul Mission. Under the scheme, a ‘Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog’ would be set up.
Need and significance:
- The setting up of Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog will lead to conservation, protection and development of cattle population in the country including development and conservation of indigenous breeds.
- It will result in increased growth of livestock sector which is more inclusive, benefitting women, and small and marginal farmers.