Topic – Linkages of organised crime with terrorism
8) How is organised crime in India reinforcing terrorism? What are the linkages especially with regard to terror funding?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question is quite straightforward in its demand. Apart from answering the basic demand of the question, towards the end of your answer you also need to discuss in brief about the checks required to curb such nexus.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that Crime and terrorism can potentially have a very close linkage. Explain what do you mean by organised crime.
- Explain the linkage –
- we look at some of the regions in the country affected by terrorism, this linkage becomes apparent. In the Northeast, extortion is the fundamental basis for funding all forms of terrorism. In addition to this, kidnapping has been used extensively for spreading terror and raising funds. Human trafficking, drug trafficking and gun running are some of the other criminal activities that have been common in these areas.
- In J&K, counterfeit currency has been a major source of funding terrorism.
- In the Maoist terror movements, extortion is yet again a common phenomenon. They have also indulged in robberies of banks to fund their movement. There have also been reports of cuts being enforced on drug yielding crops in the region.
- There are also a number of insurgent groups which over a period of time have morphed into crime syndicates. What began as an ideological movement is now merely a means of generating profit. This is especially the case with insurgent groups in Northeast India.
- Discuss how can such syndicates be tackled and the impact reduced.
Conclusion – Give your view and discuss way forward.