Topic – linkages of organized crime with terrorism
7) The nexus between terrorism and organized crime presents a major challenge for India. Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question
Terrorism is often closely linked to organized crime. It is important to discuss how the issue poses challenges to India.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail as to how terrorism and terrorism nexus operates in India and what are the challenges India faces from this nexus.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about India. E.g mention its geographical location and its hostile neighbourhood.
Discuss the challenges posed by the terrorism-organized crime nexus to India. E.g
- While terrorism is an act of political defiance that is carried out overtly, organized crime is mostly conducted covertly to earn profits.
- While terrorism results in large scale violence, conducted to exploit political objectives and religious or nationalist sentiments, crime is largely nonviolent and is carried out for economic objectives.
- Terrorist groups need a steady stream of funding to finance their operations and often resort to a plethora of illegal activities which includes the Hawala system, abuse of charities or donations from the diasporic community, credit card fraud and illegal arms and the narcotics sale.
- Therefore crying and terrorism has a symbiotic relationship with organizational operational and ideological links that are cultivated through clothes coordination are in some cases through fostering strong linkages.
- Rapid advances in telecommunication Technologies particularly social media platforms, the dark web, and illegal payment channels have strengthened the crime-terror Nexus which at times can acquire translational character.
- India has a long history of fighting the separatist insurgency and controlling civil conflicts that are spread across different parts of the country.
- There are several conditions that make India particularly prone to transnational organized crime and terrorism- proximity to major heroin producers and exporters regional drug trade through overland routes and the sea.
- Moreover, groups willing to take risks, pervasive prop poverty and protracted nature of low-intensity conflict have also created a permissible environment for the crime-terror Nexus in India.
- The major conflict zones in India are concentrated in Jammu and Kashmir North Eastern states of Assam Nagaland and Manipur and the most area of Chhattisgarh, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.