Topic – Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the
performance of these schemes
2) Implementation of PM-KISAN is riddled with challenges and learning from Rythu scheme and Kalia scheme will help going forward. Examine.(250 words)
Why this question
PM KISAN announced in the budget is dominating the oped columns and the current article talks about the lessons that can be drawn from some of the similar schemes introduced by the state government and challenges ahead. This article will enable you to prepare the risks and challenges portion of the scheme.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the details of the scheme along with the challenges that may come in the implementation of the scheme. Thereafter, we need to explain the learnings that can be drawn from other similar schemes from where PM KISAN draws inspiration and discuss way forward.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain that the scheme has been introduced in the budget.
- Explain about the PM KISAN scheme. Highlight that the scheme draws inspiration from Rythu and KALIA scheme and explain those too.
- Discuss the likely challenges that can be faced while implementing this scheme
- One, in the absence of updated land records, where in some states they have not been updated since the 1930s, creating a database of unique beneficiaries and connecting it with bank details (and possibly Aadhaar) will be the toughest part of the exercise.
- Two, it is crucial that PM-KISAN payments are made directly into beneficiary bank accounts. Alternatively, GoI may want to consider issuing cheques.
- Three, as agriculture is a state subject, cooperation from states is pivotal in delivering such a scheme. But how the Centre manages that, particularly from non-BJP states, is to be seen.
- Highlight the learning from Rythu and KALIA scheme for better implementation of PM KISAN
Conclusion – Give your view and discuss way forward.