Topic– changes in critical geographical features (including water-bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
1) Why are the earth’s magnetic poles shifting. Discuss. Also discuss its implications.(250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the reasons as to why the earth’s magnetic poles are shifting. It also wants us to write in detail about the implications of such a phenomenon for the world.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the shift in earth’s magnetic poles. E.g Earth’s north magnetic pole has been drifting so fast in the last few decades that scientists say that past estimates are no longer accurate enough for precise navigation.
- Discuss the reasons as to why the magnetic poles are shifting. E.g
- Since 1831 when magnetic North Pole was first measured in the Canadian Arctic it has moved about 2300 kilometers toward Siberia. Its speed jumped from about 15 km/h to 55 km/h since 2000.
- The reason is turbulence in Earth’s liquid outer core. There is a hot liquid ocean of iron and nickel in the planet’s core where the motion generates an electric field.
- The magnetic south pole is moving far slower than the no
- In general Earth’s magnetic field is getting weaker, leading scientists to say that it will eventually flip, where north and south pole changes polarity, like a bar magnet flipping over. It has happened numerous times in Earth’s past, but not in the last 780,000 years.
- Discuss its possible implications for humans, animals and the world in general. E.g
- some birds that use magnetic fields to navigate.
- An overall weakening of the magnetic field isn’t good for people and especially satellites and astronauts.
- The magnetic field shields Earth from dangerous UV radiation etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.