- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS)
What to study?
- For Prelims: About TOPS and NSDF.
- For Mains: Support to Indian athletes and teams for their participation in International sports events including forthcoming Tokyo Olympics 2020.
Context: The Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports is implementing Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) within overall ambit of National Sports Development Fund (NSDF) for providing financial assistance to elite athletes included in TOPS for their customized training in world class training institutes/academies within the country and abroad.
About the National Sports Development Fund:
Established in 1998, under Charitable Endowments Act 1890, vide Government of India Notification dated 12th November 1998.
- The NSDF supports sportspersons to excel in the field by providing opportunities to train under coaches of international repute with technical, scientific and psychological support and also in getting exposure to international competitions.
- Financial assistance is also provided to specific projects for promotion of sports and games sponsored by reputed Organizations/Institutes, provided the facilities so created are made available to a sizeable population of the area/region.
- The Fund is managed by a Council constituted by the Central Government.
- Union Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports is the Chairperson of the council.
- The Members of the Council include senior officers in the Department of Sports/Sports Authority of India.
- The representatives of the Apex industry organizations namely, FICCI, CII and ASSOCHAM have been included in the Council as members.
- The representatives of Sports Promotion Boards of reputed organizations are also members of the Council.
- Joint Secretary to the Government of India in the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports is the ex-officio Member Secretary of the Council.
Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS):
- Launched by Ministry of Sports within the ambit of National Sports Development Fund (NSDF).
- It aims at identifying and supporting potential medal prospects for upcoming Olympic Games.
- It will provide selected sportspersons customized training at institutes having world class facilities and also other necessary support is being provided to the elite athletes. It will also provide a benchmark for selection of athletes on par with international standards.
- Under it, Sports Authority of India (SAI) and federations, which are members of Mission Olympic Cell (MOC), will be nodal agencies for disbursal for fund. They will make payments directly to beneficiary person and institution concerned on behalf of athletes.
Mains Question: Do you think higher economic growth guarantees more medals in Olympic Games? In your opinion, what it takes for a country to do well at the Olympic Games? Discuss.