Topic– Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc.
1) What do you understand by an earthquake swarm. Discuss the reasons behind the earthquake swarms being witnessed across India.(250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the meaning and give a brief description of the term earthquake swarm. It also wants us to discuss in detail about the reasons behind the Earthquake Swarms being witnessed across many parts of India.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the term earthquake swarm. E.g ‘earthquake swarm’ which is a series of low magnitude earthquakes that occur in a localised region and over a period of time ranging from days, weeks to even months.Body-
- Describe the term in detail. E.g
- “When seismic energy piles up inside the Earth and is released in small amounts from certain points, such a series of earthquakes can occur,”
- Sometimes, these rumblings of the Earth are also accompanied by acoustic or sound emissions.
- The situation cannot be taken lightly as many earthquakes have been preceded by earthquake swarm activity.
- They come as foreshocks to the main earthquake which could be much greater in magnitude etc.
- Discuss the reasons behind earthquake swarms being witnessed across India. E.g
- Latur and Koyna earthquakes of 1993 and 1967, respectively.
- Deccan plateau
- an earthquake swarm near Bamhori village of Seoni district in Madhya Pradesh between February and May, 2000. The swarm consisted of as many as 350 tremors.
- Rampur area of Himachal Pradesh. This Himalayan swarm was later attributed to low strength of the earth’s crust in the area which could not hold the tectonic energy etc.
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.