Topic– Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
7) “The Future of Rail Opportunities for energy” report, released by the International Energy Agency, has painted a bright future for indian railways. Discuss the report and the efforts made by the government in recent years to modernize Indian railways.(250 words)
Why this question
The report highlights the future of Indian railways and its potential in terms of its size, scope and economy. It is therefore important to discuss the excerpts from the report related to India’s lifeline and largest employer.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the achievements of Indian railways in recent years and also write in detail about the key findings/ predictions of the report titled, The Future of Rail Opportunities for energy.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the Indian railways. E.g mention the size, no of passengers catered to, no of persons employed etc.
- Discuss about the reforms and achievements of Indian railways in recent years and the future plans. E.g
- The investment Railways has achieved in the last 5 years has helped country improve safety, complete long-delayed projects and introduce modern & unprecedented technology in services.
- the indigenously produced Vande Bharat Express is an engineering marvel that will change approach to train manufacturing as well as revolutionise train travel in India.
- Indian Railways’ successful effort to convert diesel locomotives to electric locomotives as truly innovative and added that it will be a game-changer in the way forward as we move towards 100% electrification for the Indian Railways.
- 5 years ago, Railways had electrified about 600 km of tracks across the country. Last year alone, 4,000 km was electrified, and in the coming year over 6,000 Km are planned to be electrified.
- Discuss about the key findings/ predictions of the report. E.g
- “The Future of Rail” analyses the current and future importance of rail around the world through the perspective of its energy and environmental implications.
- The report reviews the impact of existing plans and regulations on the future of rail, and explores the key policies that could help to realise an enhanced future rail.
- This first ever global report has a focus on India, elaborating on the unique social and economic role of rail in India, together with its great enduring potential, to show how India can extend and update its networks to harness rail at a scope and scale that is unparalleled.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.