Topic– Role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
7) Media plays an important role in inculcating and shaping our values. Discuss.(250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the role of media as an agent of inculcating and shaping our values and value system.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the growth and importance of media in our life and society.
- Mention that over the last two decades the media industry has changed at a breakneck pace due to these adjustments and wholesale development of the industry. New media have joined the arena while others have been forced to grow. These changes have been brought by advancements in technology and media usage.
- Discuss in points, what role does media play vis a vis value inculcation and development. E.g
- ERADICATING STEREOTYPE: Media is more likely to affect our beliefs about reality when an individual do not have first-hand experiences to rely upon. Thus, in the case of ethnic stereotypes at least, one would more easily accept media primes about such groups if individual did not have first-hand experience to complicate them.
- CONCEPTUALIZING ABOUT THE WORLD: Media influences us in one way by shaping our subjective understanding of reality, i.e. our beliefs about the world— what it is and how it works, etc. Even though the creators of media messages may not intend to change attitudes or beliefs, over time the media consumer tends to believe that the real world resembles the world presented in media. 3.
ATTITUDE : As already mentioned above, previous media research showed that the intent to actively change social attitudes did not work in early media campaigns. Instead, ironically, people being persuaded by media messages that weren’t even designed to change attitudes or behavior.
- “IDENTIFICATION” AS A FACTOR OF SOCIALIZATION:Any individual specially the present time generation acquires values and lifestyle through imitation of “socialized actors”. Acquisition of values is not given entity but it is a result of action.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.