Topic– Role of civil services in a democracy.
4) Frequent transfers of government employees is a constant source of worry, which affects their performance negatively. Comment.(250 words)
Why this question
The recent CBI episode highlights the plight of government servants at the hands of their political masters. In this context it is essential to discuss how the transfers and postings affect the life of a government servant.
Comment- here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue of transfers and postings in government services and express our opinion as to how it affects the public servants work and social life.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines highlighting lack of transparency and logic in transfers and postings. E.g mention the examples of some famous civil servants who were transferred many a times in their career.
DIscuss how frequent transfers and postings affect the professional and personal life of a civil servant. E.g
- Lack of education and health facilities at remote places.
- governments tend to wield the matter of transfers cynically, as a tool for punishment, injecting an element of unpredictability into an official’s career.
- Lack of predictability in career.
- It makes a civil servant compliant to seniors’ and politicians wishes.
- It undermines their performance and honesty etc.
Discuss the need to bring transparency and fairness in the process.
conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.