Topic– Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests,
2) In the wake of US accusations, Indian is keen to introduce several reforms in WTO. Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the recent relationship phase between US and India and the need for reforms in the WTO as felt by India.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the US- India tussle at the WTO and reforms suggested by India recently in respect of the international trade body.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the WTO. E.g the world economy and polity has changed since the formation of the WTO in 1995 and therefore there is need for some upgrade and reforms in the Geneva-based body.
Body– Discuss the reforms suggested by India in the wake of US accusations. E.g
- India is likely to float a proposal aimed at reforming the dispute settlement mechanism, rule-making and transparency requirements at the World Trade Organization
- India’s reform paper comes in the wake of the US blocking the appointment of judges at the global trade watchdog for more than two years, accusing emerging economies including India and China of eating into the development rights of poorer nations, and insisting on penalising countries if they introduce or increase subsidies for domestic industry without reporting to the organisation.
- India’s stand is that the appellate body issue needs to be resolved first because that is central. Without that, WTO is no organisation
- India is opposed to the idea of linking notification requirements with punitive action. India and 40 other members had opposed the US’ proposal in November that seeks to prohibit defaulters from presiding over WTO bodies and allows other countries to not answer questions posed by them.
- India’s move assumes significance in the backdrop of growing protectionism in the global trade, hurting the confidence of the WTO.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.